The Iron Dog Winter Count Emerges and Has Important Stories To Tell

Photo Courtesy of the National Anthropological Archives at the Smithsonian Institution. Public Domain.

Several years ago, I wrote a short post on a blog I used to write featuring local history and library events as librarian at Sitting Bull College. Recently, a descendant of the man who took the photo above read my blog and contacted Sitting Bull College wanting to return this important lost piece of history to its original home. It is so gratifying that a tiny seed I planted years ago is bearing fruit.

During the many years I was there, I had the privilege to learn from many winter counts like the High Dog and Long Soldier as important historical records. All that is known of the formerly "lost" Iron Dog winter count is the dim photo above taken by the original owner. I can't wait to hear the stories that this winter count has to tell.

Comments

Popular Posts