The Start of a School Garden

 

A simple garden of giant sunflowers, Atlantic Giant pumpkins and raised bed tomatoes. The garden is only about a meter wide and runs the length of the school.

 

 The garden started because every school should have a garden and I have a passion for it. It is the quintessential learning tool that connects with every subject area. We have become disconnected from our food sources; food is the essence of everything. So why doesn't every school have a garden?

The first year was a test to see if things would work in a small space with little water access. The sixty-year-old building has no water fixtures on the outside, but side spray from the lawn sprinklers gave the garden just enough water to survive. Next year, I can tweak the sprinkler heads to make the bed thrive.


The best part of the garden was to see how many students brought their seedlings home and grew them into giant sunflowers and pumpkins. The plants became a family activity, and many told me they are saving seeds for replanting next year.


Our biggest pumpkin at 145 pounds on a dolly cart. Students named him Billy Bob Joe and helped carve and decorate him. We will use the seeds next spring.


Next year, I plan to expand the garden more. This coming year will be the second year, and I hope more people will get engaged. The big challenge of a school garden is keeping it going through the summer. For me, it is a joy to stop by and check on things.


Whenever I travel, I like to check out the area's community and school gardens and libraries. My urban hikes often involve routes that purposely seek out gardens and libraries, but usually, I happen on them serendipitously. The photos of the one below in the suburban Portland area I have watched transformed over several years. The fence, just added in the past year, adds an element of safety for plants and children. It will be interesting to see how it continues to transform. Hopefully, our garden can see a similar transformation.







 




Comments

Popular Posts