My Daily Four Miles

 

Walking the high road of the northernmost section of the Williston dike just a short bike ride or dive from my place.

Walking is my medicine. It helps me keep my bad back in shape and my mood leveled through a daily mental bathing of my mind and body in nature. One is able to see, feel, hear and smell all the natural stimuli that have positive impacts on the body. The Japanese have given it the best name shinrin yoku which translates as forest bathing. 

The best hike is one that is close. Most days, when I don't have extra time, I bike or drive the half mile to this two mile trail and walk it down and back. Sometimes I zig zag up and down the hillside between the high and low road to vary the routine and keep those muscles engaged. As long as there is no wind, I have walked on days as cold as minus 10. In North Dakota, wind is the great enemy of walking because there is nowhere to shelter from it. Having hiked tree lined forest trails in temperatures as cold as minus 20, North Dakota could benefit from developing trail systems on more of its forested river bottomland because we have a lot of winter.

Walking the low road below the high road on top of the dike.

The full dike runs about 9 miles and I have walked and biked it several times. There is nature and wetland on both sides of this long trail and it is a good place to engage with the changing of the seasons.

Wetlands on both sides of the road host an ever changing palette of wildlife moving across natures canvas.




Comments

Popular Posts