Books as Objets D'art



I have gone beyond the veil and into a world where books are viewed in economic and aesthetic terms. I feel a bit like Neo in the Matrix exploring a world that was there all the time, but has only recently been revealed to me.
Nicholas A. Basbanes Among the Gently Mad: Strategies and Perspectives for the Book Hunter in the Twenty-First Century is and interesting anecdote filled travel beyond the veil for librarians. Basbanes explores the intricacies of the Internet infused culture and it's impact on the world of book collecting and selling. I had hoped for more of a nuts and bolts discussion of book business, as the title suggests. Instead of a direct "how to" style, the book utilizes stories from the book world to present the contemporary book world. For anyone interested in books, all of Basbanes books are fun reads. I will write more about some of his other books in future posts

Comments

Popular Posts