German Tractor Fest

How the Internet can bring cultures together. I read a page (in German) about German IH tractors manufactured in Germany and feel an instant bond with far away German country boys. See the link for the Historic Field day below.

Would we call them GUT old boys instead of GOOD? Imagine a show called the Dukes of Baden Wurttemburg driving a Mercedes with the doors welded shut. Would they be able to outwit the local corrupt burgermeister and the polizei?

Germany has an annual event for tractor geeks from across Europa. I was surprised to see what they call a Historicher Feldtag (historic field day). I guess in my naivete, I imagine Germans either making Mercedes and being uber-modern or basking in centuries of history and beer. Otherwised they are basically trying to forget the 20th century every happened.
This cool event is possibly analogous to our local "threshing shows" and tractor pulls. It would be fun to get a different take on what I thought was an exclusive sport of American farmers, rednecks and the odd agrarian inclined librarian. It would be fun to visit Germany and compare their take on a tractor show to ours.
(Mein Deutsch ist nicht sehr gut). That probably wouldn't matter much, since every German under 40 speaks as good as I do. Plus I am already able to speak the international vernacular of tractorspielensprachen that every tractor enthusiast around the globe can understand.Historicher Feldtag

Comments

Popular Posts