News from the Empire

I have been using the "Google Alerts" service since they were in beta a couple of years ago. Google and their "information empire" are creating some very useful tools for the information professional as well as the proletariet. I'm still receiving alerts on various topics from several years ago that prove useful from time to time.
If you haven't tried this...do it. The alerts arrive via email at intervals as Google scans the web and finds the words you request alerts on. This can be very good for focused and hard to find information. (I'll give an example below) It is another tool to put in your information bag.
Go to http://www.google.com/alerts and try it out.
I often utilize this for ongoing and difficult information searches. My search for Sitting Bull's Cabin and Co-op tractors are two such adventures.
Google alerts helps me to keep on top of tractor message boards when people reply to my queries or when new related entries are added. Yesterday, I recieved an alert about a reply to a query that I had posted on the Antique Power message board. I learned that the various models of Co-Op tractors were built in Benton Harbor, Michigan, Shelbyville, Indiana, Arthurdale, West Virginia, Brantford, Ontario, and S. St Paul, Minnesota. I also discovered that only the #3 was built in Minnesota. Only the #2 and #3 had Chrysler engines. The #1 had a Continental and the E-2, E-3, and E-4 had Buda engines. This new information, although unverified, provides one more piece to this interesting puzzle. It leads me to believe that the Cockshutt Co-op program and Farmers Union Co-op program were connected in some way.

Comments

Popular Posts